Studio 5 has a MOTU 828mkII audio interface that connects to the iMac (OS10.8) by Firewire 400. The MOTU Audio Setup application was not finding the interface.
- Power cycle the MOTU 828mkII. No change.
- Open Apple System Information app and check the Firewire hardware info.
- As shown above, the Firewire Bus shows a warning: Unable to list Firewire devices.
- Unplug the firewire cable from the back of the iMac and refreshed the System Information (command-R). The warning went away and the Firewire bus listed its specifications.
- Bad cable or bad device?
- Replaced the cable. warning came back.
- Replaced the device with another MOTU 828mk2. Warning went away.
- Put the original firewire cable to the replaced MOTU 828mk2. Still no warning.
- Conclusion. Good cable, bad device.